What is Biotechnology ?
- Biotechnology is the use of technology to use, modify or upgrade the part or whole of biological system for industrial and human welfare.
- Biotechnology uses living things for the development of various products benefiting human beings.
- It is a combination of various technologies, applied together to living cells, including biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics and engineering.
Why study Biotechnology at BMS?
- The BSc (Hons) Biotechnology is an internal honours degree awarded directly by Northumbria University, UK at BMS.
- As part of the programme, students will gain access to BMS’s state-of-the-art laboratories where they will perform a series of practical experiments that will strengthen their scientific research skills.
- Students will gain valuable instruction from academic sessions provided by the panel of academics who are specialized in the field of Biotechnology.
- The degree is both locally and globally recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- The programme enable students eligible to choose a career an array of fields including healthcare, agriculture, food and nutrition, environment, fermentation industry etc.
BSc (Hons) Biotechnology
The BSc (Hons) Biotechnology programme is designed specifically for the students interested in the areas related to Biotechnology and its applications, especially in the fields of healthcare and medicine, industry, environment and agriculture. Throughout the programme the Students will understand the processes of life and how to improve or modify them in order to enhance desired characteristics that are applicable. In addition to the knowledge, the students will also develop transferable skills including laboratory techniques, data analysis, interpersonal and teamwork skills, and IT, preparing the students for further study or employment in the fields related to Biotechnology.
- Cell Biology
- Chemistry for Biology
- Laboratory Techniques
- Molecular Biology & Genetics
- Plant Physiology
- Food and Industrial Biotechnology
- Medical Microbiology
- Industrial Based Laboratory Training
- Applied Genetics of Industry, Agriculture and Medicine
- Analysis of Scientific Data and Information
- Biology of Disease
Biotechnologists use biological organisms to create and improve products and processes in fields such as medicine, agriculture, industry and environmental conservation. They study physiochemical and Genetic attributes of cells, tissues and organisms, and identify their applicability. Biotechnologists use cutting edge technologies such as genetic modification and nanotechnology in addition to developing new medicines, therapies and diagnostic methods; using bacteria and enzymes in food production and waste treatment; and cross-breeding plants and animals to obtain beneficial characteristics.
Students who successfully complete HND in Biotechnology, can transfer to Northumbria University Biotechnology Degree.
- Analytical Methods and Applied Genetics
- Animal Biotechnology
- Applied Bioinformatics
- Biological and Food Science Project
- Current Topics in Biotechnology
- Investigative Microbiology
- Plant Biotechnology
- Over all merit in HND Biomedical science Programme.